When do I need a building permit/zoning certificate?

-A A +A

A Zoning Certificate certifies the Town has approved a proposed use as being consistent with current regulations.  No building or other structure shall be erected, moved, added to, or structurally altered, or use of land be changed without a Zoning Certificate. 

Changes include interior and exterior renovation, addition, shed, garage, deck or porch, fence, patio or sidewalk, driveway, swimming pool, demolition, change of use, and signage.

A building permit may be required after your Zoning Certificate is approved.  Cecil County Department of Permits and Inspections issues permits and performs inspections as the Town's building authority.  A building permit must be obtained before an electrician or plumber is able to obtain their permits.   

Call the Zoning Department at 410-642-6066 for specific information.